Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Miguel's White Sauce


I know that it's been almost a week since I've last posted.  I have a good excuse, I swear - I'm on Kauai, visiting my family and celebrating my sister's high school graduation.  I thought that I would have time to cook and share some of the recipes that I grew up on, but we have tons of food leftover from two consecutive graduation parties this weekend (my sister's was on Saturday, my cousin's was on Sunday) so there hasn't really been much of a reason to cook.  Plus, I'm exhausted from all the setting up, decorating, serving food, tearing down, and cleaning that hosting parties entails.  So while I rest for the remainder of the week, I'll leave you with this jalapeno white sauce.

Everyone I know in San Diego is crazy for the cheesy and creamy "white sauce" at Miguel's Cocina.  In fact, a lot of my friends will go to the restaurant, order a taco, fill up on the complimentary tortilla chips and white sauce, and take the taco home with them.

As it turns out, you can have your White Sauce fix even when Miguel's is too far away, as it is super easy to make at home.  I found out that if you ask a waiter for the white sauce recipe, they will give it to you on an index card...not that I actually asked for the recipe - I got it from someone who's much braver than I am!




White Sauce
Adapted from Miguel's Cocina

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp chicken base
2 tablespoons clarified butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon jalapeno juice
1 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 oz shreeded monterey jack cheese

Heat cream over high heat.  When about to boil, add sour cream.  Mix well until sour cream is dissolved and reduce heat.  Stir in chicken base and jalapeno juice, and bring the sauce to a simmer.

While cream is heating, make a roux: warm the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add the flour, and whisk until golden.  Just before the cream mixture is about to boil, add the roux, whisking constantly until incorporated.  Remove from heat.  Stir in jalapenos and cheese until thoroughly combined and smooth.

2 comments:

  1. Sauce was runny and not smooth. Needed twice the cheese as in the recipe and did not come out as a smooth cheese sauce. Very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ? Cheese has nothing to do with thickness. You didn't add enough ROUX that's what makes it thick

    ReplyDelete